Saturday, January 10, 2015

Believe In Yourself

So this is probs going to be a little weird as my presence on FB has been limited due it being a jerk [Jeff, yes, you are still on my radar - stronger winds have prevailed as of late, though] and the fact that a 45+ hour work week is kicking my patooka.  Solidly.

That all said, here's the deal: in about four weeks, I will mark the second anniversary of how a large vehicle will win in a contest with a small person.  From that point, I lived a life of "No", "Don't", "Shouldn't", and "Eventually, maybe", but about two months ago I got super tired of living an ever diminishing life full of limitations and gave a quiet single finger salute [actually, I hiccup / hyperventilated-bawled on the phone with one of a revolving door of case worker / advocates in sheer frustration] and decided that "No" wasn't a word that I understood.  My body may tell me "not yet" or "this is a better way, now", but my me, new and weird and unknown as it is, doesn't accept "No"; it only accepts "How do we make the next step happen?" 

I've had so much support and love and prayers and laughter with and from my amazing circle of friends and family of choice [including the Teeters! Honestly, what planet did we come from?]  I could not have done it without you, but you can't do anything until choose not to hear "No."  Choosing to see opportunity and possibility in terms of personal success vs choosing to see challenges as obstacles makes a world of difference, mentally, psychologically, and emotionally.  Even when that means, "I've fallen and I can't get up."  Put it out there and know that loved ones have your back.  Be brave.  You likely have a greater net than you realize.  Optimism is not a miracle drug, but refusing to give up on yourself changes the game, entirely.

Then get on with gettin' on as best you can.

Shel feels as though he was my spirit guide through early life.  I had all of his books and they were dog eared and well worn the last time that I had them in my hands. I've posted it before and probably will never stop:

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
      Listen to the DON'TS
      Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S
      Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me-
      Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be


And while Eric Thomas can seem a bit hyperbolic, he makes valid and practical points.  Mostly you are and will be as you see yourself to be. Success is as much as much sweat equity as it is luck, but it is never accidental.

Be awesome.  Or just get out of bed and do your thing, if that is your first step of being awesome.  Sometimes that is as awesomely as is possible and it's good. "'Cuz tomorrow gonna be a new day and a new way to shine"  as a friend once said. "Just bring it. We always be ready to see a new light shine bright."  [Vernacular intended.]

BOOM.

Believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment