Sunday, January 15, 2006

2005

What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
In no particular order…

Professionally
- freelanced successfully as a primary source of income. Scary. Exciting. Incredibly empowering.
Health - Got mono. Thought it was the flu. Then thought it was allergies. Ignored it. Turned into CFS. Personally understood the term 'deathless slumber' and somehow suspect that my body may have finally reversed a three decade long sleep deficit in three short months.
Personally - Cooked a turkey. Hosted two orphan's holidays. Learned some socially dynamic rules of engagement, less as an MO than as a utility for specific situations.

Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't really do resolutions as much as set increments on long term goals. In 2006, I want to get a dog.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yup.

Did anyone close to you die?
Nope.

What countries did you visit?
Napa, Marin, the Marina. Yes, they qualify as such.

What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
I'm still patiently awaiting the arrival of my faithful sidekick who lives to rub my back, remind me to laugh and deliver breakfast in bed. Comprehensive and generous benefit package, commensurate with peformance and experience. Room for advancement to long term position of partner in crime and fellow merry maker. Interested candidates, please submit detailed resume/cv and compensation requirements.

What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Probably Thanksgiving. Because it marked a shift.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting back up.
Making it happen. Finding my voice.

What was your biggest failure?
Too many things, too little time. No mistletoe or birthday kisses.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Mono and CFS.

What was the best thing you bought?
My lappie.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mother's.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The government.

Where did most of your money go?
Cab rides.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finally chopping all of my hair off.

What song will always remind you of 2005?
One song could never cover that.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder?
Happier.
thinner or fatter? Thinner.
richer or poorer? Richer in income flow. Broker in stocks/mutual funds. Wealthier in experience.

What do you wish you’d done more of?
Nightswimming.

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stressing. But it was a necessary evil.

How will you be spending Christmas?
I hosted an orphan's dinner. Relaxed.

Did you fall in love in 2005?
Yes, in more than one sense.

What was your favorite TV program?
I don't watch TV.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope.

What was the best book you read?
The only book I read was Shop Girl by Steve Martin. It was on the bookshelf in the living room and I picked it up while on hold. A couple hours later, I was done. It was much better than I'd imagined but I'm still a bit squicked at the thought of a love scene between Steve Martin and Claire Danes.

What was your greatest musical discovery of 2005?
MeCha. Andy. mosch.

What did you want and get?
A great, permanent, non-freelance job (even if does cause me to question my own sanity several times a night.)

What did you want and not get?
A bedroom that doesn't look like a construction area. Baby steps, though.

What was your favorite film of this year?
Tie: The American Astronaut is such a brilliant exercise in absurdity and artistic vision that it lives in a class all its own. Capote was impeccable.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36. The day itself dawned well but turned sour in the early afternoon. I went to work shellshocked, auto-piloted through night. Went out for a rare post work drink with co-workers (three of us were born within 36 hours of one another.) A missed afternoon nap, little dinner, low tolerance and emotional blow resulted in an expedited trip to drunksville. Unable to stop that train, I executed a brilliant maneuver of strategical tactics by getting my birthday compatriots far drunker than I was. Final assessment: they remember me goose stepping to the bathroom, but I remember them crazy talking and what might best be described as interpretive dance on their part, 20 minutes later.

Frisbee Girl: 1
Birthday boys: 0

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Fixing and organizing my desktop/hard drives.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Cowboy boots.

What kept you sane?
Sane? I keed. Headphones and naps.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I prefer to keep my fancies to individuals I know.

What political issue stirred you the most?
I can't pick just one.

Who did you miss?
Hard to say, almost everyone at one point or another. In a weird way, though, this makes me happy because it means I must be choosing to get to know good people.

Who was the best new person you met?
mudpuppie. Andy. mosch. The MeCha gang.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
This year I think I really learned the meaning of the phrase "This too shall pass" and that luck coupled with a metric ton of hard work goes a long, long way.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Suddenly Everything Has Changed - The Flaming Lips

Putting all the vegetables away

That you bought at the grocery store today
And it goes fast
You think of the past
Suddenly everything has changed

Driving home, the sky accelerates
And the clouds all form a geometric shape
And it goes fast
You think of the past
Suddenly everything has changed

Putting all the clothes you've washed away
And as you're folding up the shirts you hesitate
Then it goes fast
You think of the past
And suddenly everything has changed

No comments:

Post a Comment