Friday, July 01, 2005

It's a Shel Silverstein kind of time

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me -
Anything can happen, child
ANYTHING can be.

Today, Kell Robert, came into the world. A child of two people whom I love and cherish to such a degree that descriptions pale. Though not linked to these two individuals by blood, there is a history with a certain intensity and implicit consistency combined with a mutual admiration and respect that we refer to another in familial terms: sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law. Not always. I think Jen and I have gotten tired over the years of explaining. Especially as we, along with her half brother (a now overgrown imp I call my brother), who was the catalyst for our meeting over 20 years ago - me being his babysitter and she down for the afternoon to visit her mom - have all been raised as only children, in different social circles, with different parental sets. Wrap your brain around that one. And yet the bond prevails.

We communicate in fits and spurts. But after months, even years, pick back up as though we were finishing a conversation from lunch. She's brilliant and beautiful and utterly amazing. I am continually awed and inspired by her. We lead extremely dissimilar lives and enjoy the vicarious experience of them even as we wave in relief from our own comfortable positions. I often think that we are unique mirrors to each other, each encouraging the other by admiring and facilitating the qualities that we individually do not possess. And tag teaming a social or familial situation can seem nearly conspiratorial in the right instances, but more often than not, it's just that we know how the other thinks.

We are kindred.

Glen, I met almost 15 years ago when Jen was at university. If Jen is an arabesque, Glen is a puppie-pile incarnate. Equally talented and creative, in his own right, Glen has great vision and loves to orchestrate great things. And then have fun with everyone else while they experience those great things or do other great things with the initial ideas. "Great things" can take on a wide variety of definitions depending on the situation, but you can count on Glen for unbridled and genuine enthusiasm. So long as it doesn't involve possible communicable illnesses and keyboards or phones.

The completely disarming and endearing thing is that he's entirely open about it and will heap on the sympathy on anyone else given the opportunity: he loves to share the wealth. I like to rib Glen a bit, but the fact is that he's true blue. He is the soul of generosity and sincerity. We worked together for a few years and I'd like to think that we were a good team. He taught me not be so hard on myself and I taught him that being tired might be less due to the onset of leukemia than from staying up until 2:30 am playing Battlefield 1942. Three nights in a row. The added beauty comes when he grins sheepishly and says, "I know" but continues describing a battle scene.

We are simpatico.

So these two people got together and stayed together and started making some beautiful kidlets. In a world that doesn't fail to appall me on a daily basis, the cynic in me cringes a bit. But in a world that has also never failed to inspire, engross and captivate me on that same daily basis, something inside of me melts with a sigh and sings a soothing, joyous song.

Something very good happened today. It came in the form of a 21 inch, 9 pound - 7 ounce baby boy named Kell. Welcome to this crazy time and place we call 'Life on Earth', little guy.

I cannot wait to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment