Thursday, December 16, 2004

Way cheesy birthday post

Do You Realize? - The Flaming Lips

Do you realize
That you have the most beautiful face?
Do you realize
We're floating in space?
Do you realize
That happiness makes you cry?
Do you realize
That everyone you know someday will die?

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes
Let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun don't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do you realize - Oh - Oh - Oh
Do you realize
That everyone you know
Someday will die?

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes
Let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun don't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

I invoke full birthday rights for slacking on this entry. I'll post more original thoughts later. But for now, as much as my birthday is about me, for me, it's also about realizing, yet again, how fortunate I am to be surrounded by such great people. Life is fleeting, especially the older we get. I can remember trying to fathom 364 days the day after Christmas and what an eternity it seemed. Now, as an adult, it's physically December but mentally March for me in terms of active plans.

This is neither good nor bad, just a fact. I try as often as possible to remind myself to stay current, in the here and now, instead of losing myself in the shifting slipstream of future plans and possibilities. It's hard, because it is a bad habit that is deeply ingrained. But the people that I love need me to be here and with them in the moment if we're really going to be an operating community. The immediate moments carry a weight and importance that all of the planning in the universe cannot replace.

And so, I both claim my friends and family of choice as the best birthday gift possible and renew my commitment to remaining in the here and now, for presence. Thank you, each one of you, for your presence in my life. I'm feeling like a lucky son (*cough* daughter) of a gun these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment