Saturday, December 25, 2004

Looking Back

What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
I moved to San Francisco.


Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't think that I had any resolutions outside of not being in the hospital again (which I successfully avoided.) I try to change things as they need to be addressed.


Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, but the baby of close friends came home after being born 4 months premature and spending 5 months in NICU.

Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank you!


What countries did you visit?
California. I keed, I keed. None.

What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
A secure, fulltime job.


What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 16th - that's when I pulled up in front of my apartment in the Mission.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Successfully moving to San Francisco. (Sensing a theme here?)


What was your biggest failure?
Not staying in better touch with the folks in Portland.

Did you suffer illness or injury?

With the exception of my friend, James, cutting my forehead open by throwing a bar towel at me that had a strainer in it, no. To be fair, he didn't know there was anything in the towel when he chucked it. And, dear God, what I wouldn't do for pictures of his face when he saw that my head was bleeding. Pure comedy.

What was the best thing you bought?
Smoooochie's ticket. Hands down. Followed closely by my iPod and eyeglasses.


Whose behavior merited celebration?
Nearly everyone, actually. I know some of the kick-assest people on the planet.


Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The US government, for sure.

Where did most of your money go?

Travel/transportation/moving expenses and *cough* bars.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving to San Francisco.


What song will always remind you of 2004?
Just one?
Please.
Q1
'Slow Jam'/'My Angel Rocks Back And Forth' – Fourtet
'Silent Sigh' – Badly Drawn Boy
'Bubblegum Years' – Gomez (thanks again, Abby!)
Q2
'Whipping Piccadilly' – Gomez
'I'll Be Seeing You' – Rickie Lee Jones
'Fitted Shirt'/'All The Pretty Girls Go To The City' – Spoon
Q3
'Starfish & Coffee' - Prince
'All Is Full Of Love' – Death Cab For Cutie
'Float On' – Modest Mouse
Q4
'Everything Hits At Once' – Spoon
'Girl Boy Song' – Aphex Twin
'Do You Realize?' – The Flaming Lips


Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? exponentially happier
thinner or fatter? thinner
richer or poorer? poorer

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Cooking.

What do you wish you'd done less of?

Waiting for MUNI. But it did give me time to think and things to watch.

How will you be spending Christmas?

Chilling and hanging out with friends.

Did you fall in love in 2004?
Yes, with SF.


What was your favorite TV program?
I don't watch TV, but it would either be 'Farscape' or 'That 70’s Show'


Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
'Hate' is a very strong word. No.


What was the best book you read?
I started reading 'The Years of Rice and Salt' by Kim Stanley Robinson, one of my favorite authors. That’s only book that I've had a chance to pick up and I haven't come remotely close to finishing it. BUT!! I did actually get to meet KSR at a reading a few weeks ago. Good stuff.


What was your greatest musical discovery of 2004?
See list above, with the exceptions of Prince and Rickie Lee Jones. Add The Shins, The Postal Service and Zero 7 to the list.


What did you want and get?
A new city, a new life and my iPod.


What did you want and not get?
A make out session with a cute guy on my birthday, but I only have myself to blame for that.


What was your favorite film of this year?
'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'


What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Sushi, Eddie Izzard and lazy conversation w/friends. I turned 35.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Nothing. Of course, it would be fabulous to have happily come into a large sum of money, but I won't complain.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Orange.

What kept you sane?
My friends, laughing, Tribe.


Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I have a perpetual crush on Ira Glass. Nothing new.


What political issue stirred you the most?
The election.


Who did you miss?
Various friends and family members, because I'd love to have them in the mix with the friends I have here.


Who was the best new person you met?
I can't possibly limit that to one person, but finally meeting Abby and Aaron turned out to be one of the most fulfilling cases of delayed gratification that I've ever experienced.

I also have to say that the most phenomenal friendship that I've built in years has been with Smoooochie. There are not words to describe how much this woman rocks.


Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
As a friend of mine used to say, "No asky, no getty." Especially when asking for things from the universe. Ask respectfully and without selfishness, then be prepared to hit the ground running and work your ass off.


Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant

My heart was going boom boom boom
'Hey,' I said, 'You can keep my things, they've come to take me home.'"
-Peter Gabriel "Solsbury Hill"


A quote from a book that sums up the year and recent cycle of growth:
"Av for velocity, delta for change. In space this is the measure of the change in velocity required to get from one place to another - thus, a measure of the energy required to do it.

Everything is moving already. But to get something from the (moving) surface of the Earth into orbit around it requires a minimum Av of ten kilometers per second; to leave Earth's orbit and fly to Mars requires a minimum Av of 3.6 kilometers per second; and to orbit Mars and land on it requires a Av of about one kilometer per second. The hardest part is leaving Earth behind, for that is by far the deepest gravity well involved. Climbing up that steep curve of spacetime takes tremendous force, shifting the direction of an enormous inertia.

History too has an inertia. In the four dimensions of spacetime, particles (or events) have directionality; mathematicians, trying to show this, draw what they call "world lines" on graphs. In human affairs, individual world lines form a thick tangle, curling out of the darkness of prehistory and stretching through time: a cable the size of Earth itself, spiraling around the sun on a long curved course. That cable of tangled world lines is history. Seeing where it has been, it is clear where it is going - it is a matter of simple extrapolation. For what kind of Av would it take to escape history, to escape an inertia that powerful, and curve a new course?

The hardest part is leaving Earth behind."


- 'Red Mars', Kim Stanley Robinson

3 comments:

  1. "finally meeting Abby and Aaron turned out to be one of the most fulfilling cases of delayed gratification that I've ever experienced."

    YayayayayaYAY! :D

    I'm all touched 'n' shit. *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just telling it like it is! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaahhhghhh...!

    everytime. every time. everytime i see that ksr quote, i tear up.

    hmmmm...

    am i caught i my own gravity well?

    do i not have the engery to escape?

    i remember when i was a small boy, and the apollo missions were still on tv...

    am i still that spectator?

    but, after all, there IS a certain comfort in the familiar. all my history and psychosis' are, if anything, known...

    hmmm....

    this is the first day. what do we do with it?

    look to fg. uh huh. do with it as need be.

    ReplyDelete